Monday, September 27, 2010

bring a friend to heaven.

I'm just sitting here at my desk, thinking about Heaven. It's gonna be so great. I can't really fathom what it will be like. But it will be great, that's for sure.

I heard a quote at church yesterday that's been on my mind a lot today: You can't take anything to Heaven- except a friend. A cute little quote. It's true, though, and it's got me thinking. I like to surround myself with things that make me feel comfortable- my books, my mp3 player, cable, my laptop, my favorite coffee mug, my favorite pair of skinny jeans...

Earlier this summer I went on a week-long support trip through Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. I forgot almost all of my pants. I remember to pack everything else, except any pants. I had a couple pairs of shorts, and some lounge wear, but nothing formal enough for my appointments. Aside from being annoyed that I was unprepared for the whole point of my trip, I was annoyed that I left my favorite jeans back home.

You're probably thinking...get to the point. Ok. I work so hard to surround myself with comfortable things. But I don't do it as much, as often, or as bad as non-believers, or other Christians, so I easily justify it sometimes.

But one of the reasons non-Christians do it is to find significance and security. That's what I did before I knew Christ. Now I find my identity in Him and assurance of salvation through Him.

The things that make me comfortable lead me to not share my faith as much, while non-believers continue to pursue comfort in things because they don't know there's something better out there.

If the only thing we can take with us to heaven is a friend, this is some awful irony.

0 comments: