Sunday, October 03, 2010

A poor parody of Hamlet


To give, or not to give: That is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of selfishness,
And by opposing end them?


Ok, I'm done. I can't even write a true parody of this passage because I don't really understand the actual context in which it was written. (In fact, I thought it was from Romeo & Juliet until I googled it just now. My high school English teacher, Mrs Robinson, would not be calling me a scholar right now).

Anyway, this week I heard some news about the movie that was to be made about Blue Like Jazz. Apparently production was suspended due to lack of funds, so some guys made a website asking people who have been influenced by the book to considering giving to fund the rest of the movie's production.

Before I could stop my mind from going there, it went there: what if they don't make their goal? Where does my money go? What happens to the movie?

It's like a student asking for support for a missions trip: What if she doesn't go? What happens to my money?

The thing is (thanks, Allison) I don't really have a say in how the money is used. My reaction points out a problem with my attitude in giving: control. It's not my money to begin with. While I should be a good steward of it, it's out of my hands when it's given away.

I ran into this same issue last week, when I was reading Revolution in World Missions by KP Yohannon. He cited many examples of American churches and big-name Christians (without naming names) that wanted to help him in his cause of raising funds for indigenous missionaries in India. But the Americans wanted additional confirmation that the money pledged would be used the way they wanted- through a variety of different stipulations. I admire KP's integrity and character - he would not accept money with ties. And I think he was totally right in asking them to reconsider. It's not that there wasn't any accountability within his system - it's that the people giving wanted to make sure it was done their way.

While we're on the subject of books, let me bring up another one (some of you are probably not surprised I'm mentioning this book). Last year, I read Law of Rewards by Randy Alcorn. It's not a long book, but it took me a whole year to finish; there was a lot to consider and converse about.

This topic of how to decide to give or not to give is one thing Alcorn covers in his book, and also on his website (Eternal Perspectives Ministries). He's got an article entitled Nineteen Questions to Ask Before You Give To Any Organization. They vary from checking a ministry's biblical doctrine, ministry strategies and overhead/admin costs, to talking with people both on the local level instead of just reading literature/seeing promo videos. One thing I'm really glad to see on the list is the importance of giving to the local church. Alcorn suggests we ask ourselves whether or not we've fulfilled our primary role in giving to our local church.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (loosely) says we should decide in our hearts what to give, and to give it cheerfully. I think the kicker comes right before this verse, in 9:6: "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."

As with many of life's interesting issues, the answer probably lies in a balance: giving where, when and how God leads you - which might sometimes be off-the-cuff without much consideration, and might sometimes be after an hour long personal appointment with a missionary from a ministry you've never heard of.

What are your thoughts? Do we have any say in how money is used when we give it away? Why/Why not? Should we extensively scrutinize every single financial opportunity that comes our way with Alcorn's list of 19 Questions?

(By the way, I just checked the Save Blue Like Jazz website, and they made their goal).

0 comments: