Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gifts & Strengths.

A friend recently asked me what my spiritual gifts are. Instead of blurting them out excitedly, I found myself pausing before answering.

I definitely know what they are, but I was hesitant to share because I didn't want this person to label me. I'm good at organizing- not just material things, but ideas, data and intangible things. That doesn't mean I'm always organized, or that I don't forget things. That also doesn't mean I like to be labeled as the obsessive-compulsive woman who never forgets anything. I have other strengths besides organization.

The flip side of this is that I do love working in the areas of my gifts. I am often quick to jump at the chance to do things in the area of my strengths, but honestly, it gets a little dull sometimes.

I may be good at administrative stuff, encouraging others, etc, but that doesn't mean I can use my gifts as an excuse to not do the things I'm not good at. I don't have the gift of teaching. That doesn't mean I can excuse myself from investing in others through leading a Bible study or mentoring someone. Give me a challenge! Working where I'm weakest provides great potential for growth.

0 comments: