Wednesday, April 22, 2009

perspective.

I'm taking this New Testament Survey class right now to continue my first year of training with Campus Crusade. I love it. It's been a huge blessing as I raise support. Having a focused time in the Word several times a week for 2-4 hours is incredibly beneficial to my life!

Today I read many of Paul's letters - one of which was Titus. I studied this last week at bible study and was excited to listen to a lecture on it and read the book this week. I knew the background of Titus and Crete, but actually had a change of thought take place through one of the resources from Crusade that I have to read (along with most of the NT and a commentary). This file has fictitious letters from people in the NT to Paul, often asking for a letter of advice, note, or historical record- hence, the letters of the new testament. Really weird concept to me; I actually didn't really like reading the file each week but did it anyway because I wanted to give myself an A for that portion of the class (it's self-graded and I need all the points I can get).

The file corresponding to the book of Titus was actually a grouping of several notes back and forth between Titus and Paul. T didn't want to be on Crete, for obvious reasons which he proceeds to point out, but P explains the need for him there and doesn't let him off the hook (until later when T goes to Nicopolis).

I read the notes back and forth, and actually understood the information present as I had read Titus the week before in Bible Study. So when I closed the file and re-read Titus, I started to read it from the perspective that I was Titus. And it dawned on me: I generally read Paul's letters as though I am the citizens and church people he is writing about. With Titus, I started to read it and think about it as though I was Titus receiving advice and encouragement from Paul. I learned a lot and was able to apply different things to my life and situation than I usually do. Normally I would just look at and read the letter from the viewpoint of those in Crete instead of from their leader. Kinda cool change of perspective for me (I think!).

0 comments: