Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Formulas.

My car was looking pretty dirty the other day, so I took a trip to the local do-it-yourself car wash.

I had a couple dollars in quarters and figured I could get the car pretty clean for about $2.50. I put the quarters in the machine, turned the knob to "Super Soap Soak" and let 'er rip.

Throughout the process of washing the car, I assumed the power washer would produce the water pressure and suds I needed to get my car moderately clean (mainly just less bug-encrusted). I put the money in and got results.

Here's where I tie in the real-life example and the new found spiritual truth you're expecting (get ready): God is not a coin-operated power washer. (Surprise!)

I definitely don't buy into the prosperity gospel that has wormed its way into the Christian subculture. The view that we believers have a right to blessings of health and wealth from God isn't one that fits within the context of the Bible.

But just because I don't buy in to the sham doesn't mean my bed skirt isn't a little ruffled. I have tendencies that result in treating God like a cosmic ATM (relevant mag's words, not mine).

And it's the little lies that we believe, or half-truths that we let slide, that can be the most devastating.

I like equations. Math is always the same. Two plus two always equals four and I take comfort in that. The funny thing is, there are those equations in the realm of Christianity that are always true. God will always love me, no matter what I do (or don't do). I will find Him when I seek Him with all my heart. He will provide what I truly need - and if I don't receive it, maybe I don't really need it. It's funny how easy it is to doubt these things even though they are as true as two plus two. I hate these cliche type of sayings I just listed, but they really are true. Of all the times I complain about not being about to find God, I must admit I wasn't seeking Him that hard. Of all the times I complain about not getting what I want, I really do have what I need.

I suppose instead of asking God to bless the things I do, I should try doing things I know He will bless. I love to make all kinds of plans, especially in the realm of MPD, but things rarely seem to work out the way I want them to.

I expect results when I step out in faith. Sometimes I see exactly what I expect, while other times I don't see any immediate result. Regardless, it's my job to step out in faith. If you're truly living your life to glorify God, regardless of your occupation, you will have to take steps of faith, leaving the results up to God (helloooo witnessing in the power of the Holy Spirit). Hm. I guess there's one formula that always works!

0 comments: