Thursday, May 26, 2011

What do I do for a living?...I'd love to tell you.

What a week! On Sunday afternoon, 151 college students and staff arrived at the Hilton Hotel near the MSP Airport. I watched from a balcony on the 11th floor as students arrived and parents and friends (and significant others) said good bye.

These people are heading to 6 different countries for a period of 4-6 weeks to share the Gospel with college students around the world. Campus Crusade strategically sends these teams each summer, giving encouragement and lift to the teams that are in-country long term, and giving a vision for college students of God's work around the world.

My part in this adventure is an interesting one: financial, logistical, administrative. I track donations, help trip leaders set their budgets, obtain visas for those that need them, book airline flights, ensure that everyone follows the corporate rules we as a global missions organization have in place, etc.

My job is hard to explain to people sometimes. I've tried to come up with a 2 sentence rote answer, but I rarely get across the magnitude of my job in the way I want. I should probably just start telling people I'm a missionary, and if they are actually interested, they will ask more questions after that.

I'm a missionary. Instead of the typical "going to live in a grass hut in the Amazon," that you might think a missionary would do, I work in a cubicle. (Don't worry, I LOVE it!)

I'm a missionary that loves Jesus, that desires for people all over the world to have a chance to hear the Gospel and respond to the claims of Christ. I'm a missionary that happens to have a business degree and a passion for using resources efficiently and effectively. A missionary that is gifted in administrative tasks, has a methodical mind that loves serving others. A missionary that loves supplying people with the resources they need to do what God has called them.

That's my job.

So, here's a breakdown of the mission projects I've spent the last 5 months coordinating:
  • 33 students are heading to Accra, Ghana for 4 weeks
  • 16 students sent to Uruguay, a country with currently only 2 CCC campus staff
  • 17 students sent to Montpellier, a city near the south coast of France
  • 20 students to a closed country in Eastern Asia where God is moving mightily
  • 18 students to a country in the Middle East that is less than 1% Christian
  • 23 students to Brisbane, Australia, where there is a large amount of international students
As I write this, there are students sharing their faith, some for the first time, in a foreign country with students, some of whom have never heard the name of Jesus. Glory to God for giving me a passion for using temporal things like e-mail, money, microsoft excel and paperclips to have an impact on eternity. That's what I do for a living.

0 comments: