Tuesday, September 06, 2011

To Do's and Don'ts.

Summer seems to be fading with the start of September, and fall is entering without haste. This season has so, so many things that I love: crisp air that leads to sweatshirt wearing, changing leaves that lead to beautiful fall photos...and the beginning of another football season, when my hopes of a Superbowl appearance are still intact. (I also had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks today...a quite tasty perk of my favorite time of year).

I love the change in seasons, especially from summer to fall. With this change comes new beginning; new school years, new schedules, new activities, new potential for growth. (Plus, don't you love seeing all the new school supplies at Target??)

While fall is a busy time for Cru campus staff, it's the least busy and stressful time for me in ministry. I am grateful for the chance to sit back and catch my breathe after a very busy winter, spring and summer. Even though I'm not on campus, lately I find myself thinking about it every day. I can't help but remember my own days as a student leader in our Cru movement. The excitement of meeting new freshmen, making them a part of our community, learning about their lives and seeing God awaken them to the Gospel.

And without fail, there always came a point in each fall semester in college when I realized I'd over-committed myself. Life can get so busy, especially this time of year with the start of new activities that seem to fill up our schedules quicker than we'd like. I fully admit that sometimes I treat my to-do list like it's the most important thing in my life. Sometimes I literally crave being busy. Even when I'm 'relaxing' on the couch in front of the TV, I'm working away on my laptop on whatever is most important on my to-do list.

I was talking with a good friend this weekend about the importance of community. She and I live a few hours away from each other now, and I think we are both realizing how important it is to commit to having long-lasting friendships. I'm starting to realize that even though my job, church and other commitments here in Minneapolis demand much of my time, there are moments when I need to set all of it aside and just be with a friend.

At times I am tempted to think I can get through life without needing anyone. If I believe this lie I risk missing out on something God created for my benefit, and for the benefit of others. We all need community. He uses people around us to grow and change us, to show us his love and acceptance, and to help us experience his forgiveness. We can't go through life not needing anyone.

This fall I hope to commit more of my time to relationships, both new and old. I hope to monitor my schedule more closely and be real with my personal limits to ensure that I don't over-commit. I'd hate to miss out on what God's trying to teach me through the people in my life because I'm too focused on crossing items off my to-do list.

0 comments: