Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer Recap

The end of summer is never that sad for me; I love fall and even really enjoy winter until mid-February or so. The change in seasons brings another thing I love ... football!!

I was just reflecting on my summer and realized something- even though I just stuck around Minneapolis and didn't think the last 3 months were that great, I had some awesome experiences!

My summer truly began when I sent 150 college students and Cru staff off to their international summer mission projects. I worked so much that week that I was able to take a 2 day holiday over Memorial Day weekend to relax and recoup from a crazy spring (it took two days just to unwind and stop thinking about work!).

Rest was a good idea, because the next weekend of June 5 I ran my first half-marathon! I was nervous, but so pumped for the challenge. I ran a majority of the race and finished in just over 3 hours.

The next weekend I found myself at Lake Okoboji with old friends from a med-student Bible Study I was a part of during my final year in Vermillion. Wonderful to spend hours in theological conversations along the lakeside! I came away from this weekend very refreshed, and the worst leg sunburn I've ever had.

At the end of June I was able to catch a Twins' game with my brother Joel and two friends from the regional office. We had a blast, and I don't even remember if the Twins won.

Another highlight of the month was discovering the TV Show Parks & Recreation. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. Hilarious! I had a couple Parks & Rec TV marathons during June and have now seen all 3 seasons (46 episodes...about 15 hours total). :)

I spent the July 4 weekend in Minneapolis, meeting with our finance coordinators for each summer missions project. I didn't really mind working over the holiday weekend; all the meetings went exceptionally well and I was able to catch 3 fireworks shows simultaneously at Lake Calhoun with a friend.

Ten days later, I packed up Sawyer Stratus and took off on a 2 week road trip. I spent a night in Des Moines with college friends, and then 2 nights in Omaha with more college friends. Then it was off to Ft. Collins, CO for our every-other-year US Staff Conference. over 5,000 staff were present at a 10 day training and leadership event, where we heard from interesting speakers like Francis Chan and David Platt. We also learned of the new name for Campus Crusade in the US: Cru. On the way home I stopped in Omaha again, and then spent 2 nights in Vermillion with more college friends.

Once I got home, August 1 came and so did preparations for my big brother's wedding on August 6. He married a wonderful woman, and I'm so excited for them to begin their new journey together (and to finally have a sister!!). A few days later, I took an unexpected trip to Sturgis, SD. I made the 10 hours drive with a friend overnight, which was something I'd never done and would be fine never doing again. It was crazy to be out in Sturgis during the Harley Davidson rally.

Mid-August found me meeting with my Operations Team to gear up for another year of ministry. It was so great to be back with my coworkers, such a privilege to work with an awesome team of people who bring me closer to the Lord and help me develop professionally. That weekend I took a quick trip home to share my faith journey and ministry calling with a church in my hometown. The pastor's wife works with Student Venture, the high school ministry of Cru.

Last week we had a regional office staff fun day on Lake Minnetonka and I got to venture out on a sailboat for the first time. It was windy but still a lot of fun. Last weekend my brother Joel came up and we took in the Vikings/Cowboys pre-season game, (my first nfl game) which was a ton of fun. I kid you not, I almost teared up when I walked in to the Metrodome and saw the field. I seriously love football.

And this weekend I will head to Sioux Falls to visit friends and take in the Lifelight music festival. I haven't been in a few years and always have a fun time.

And that was my summer. And this was my 600th post! Incredible how time flies.

0 comments: