Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Perceptions.

A few weeks ago I watched the movie Marley and Me. I was busy doing something else, and had the movie on in the background, when all of a sudden my ears perked up.

John, the main character, was talking to his boss about the column he wrote for the local paper. He said, "I just always had this idea in my head about being a reporter (instead of a columnist)."

His boss Arnie replied, "sometimes life comes up with a better idea."

Throughout the movie, we watch John as John watches his friend Sebastian progress as a reporter and move forward in his career, while John stays put. It's obviously tough for John to watch, but he is a very successful columnist.

I identify with John, and I think all of us probably do at some point in our lives. We have a perception about something that we want to attain. Do we really want it? Or do we think we want it? And why do we want it, because it will provide us with more power or fame? Or is it a sincere desire that we have, with proper motives? It's hard to know sometimes what we really want.

How we perceive ourselves can be tricky. We may be something entirely different than we think we are. When we look in the mirror, what do we see? Is it what we really are? Do others see us in the same light?

You can’t seem to see past your own reflection
Caught up in the halls of your introspection
And you’re staring at your mirror on the wall
Asking “who is the fairest of them all?”
‘Cause Lord I know, it’s not me
If only you could see that you’ve already been set free

Well you say “hold on, if I could just try this one thing.
Well I know I can change and that would change everything”
But a house made of mirrors never helped you see any clearer
It’s yourself you can’t see past
And Lord, isn’t that just like me?
If only we could see, that He’s already set us free

Well come on, come on
Let’s throw our mirrors down
Yeah come on, come on
Let’s shatter the glass on the ground


-Tenth Avenue North//House of Mirrors

0 comments: