Monday, August 01, 2011

Knowing What Counts.

It's no secret: I like numbers. One of my favorite ways to use numbers is by counting things. (In fact, I'd love to stop writing right now and count how many times on this blog I've started a post with the phrase, I like numbers).

I've always liked counting things. Sometimes I feel like Harold Crick from the movie Stranger Than Fiction. (I know I've made that reference at least once before on this blog...)

But I love something more than the process of counting things. I love living my life in a way that counts. Even as a kid, I knew I wanted my life to count for something. I knew that I could use my talents and abilities to do something great.

What better to do than to pursue the American Dream? The nice house, the car, a suit and heels I could wear in my corner office in a big skyscraper downtown that would make me feel powerful.

The problem with that was, my life wouldn't count for anything once I was gone. I'd earn a lot of money and spend it all on myself. It would be fun, but I forgot to count something. I only had one life, and my desire not to waste it was stronger than my desire for my version of the American Dream.

I love knowing that I count. And it's not because I do well at my job, or have a nice car or apartment or friends, or money in the bank. I count because I'm a human being, created in the image of God. I count because He loves me - not because of the good I do (which would never be enough!), but because He says I count.

All I have is one life, and this life is only a dot on the timeline of eternity. Why not use my one life to count in ways that matter after I'm gone?

In college, our CCC movement used to count how many people we shared the Gospel with, how many people we had spiritual conversations with, etc. We used to explain that to others by saying We count people because people count. It wasn't about being rewarded or chastised for your number - it was about keeping track of how many lives had been impacted that year by our small group of student leaders.

By living life in light of eternity, and impacting those around me, I can multiply my life, and really make it count.

0 comments: