Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Campus Ministries Working Together

How does a ministry decide on which students they will focus? How do staff members who can limited time and resources make certain their resources are used effectively on campus?

I love the intense focus within Campus Crusade of winning students to Christ. Our organizational focus is evangelism and discipleship. This is what God called Dr. Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, to focus on when the ministry started in 1951, and this is still our focus today.

I've heard a quote from Bright stating his interest in helping a believer understand and live in the power of the Holy Spirit over bringing someone to Christ. His reason was strategic; the more believers that are actively sharing their faith, the more people that could potentially be reached.

So if we're about reaching students in college and training them to be life-long laborers, the strategist (is that a word?) in me says train them while they're in high school so they can jump right into ministry in college.

A good thought, but there's an alarming statistic to consider: around 80% of Christian high school students leave their Christian faith in college.

So what do we do? How do we balance what God's called us to as a ministry and the current needs of university students?

This issue has been in the back of my mind throughout my college days, and even more now as a staff member with Campus Crusade. Several months ago, a friend shared with this article with me from the InterVarsity website about the importance of the first 72 hours on campus. The story also highlights a great organization partnering with existing Christian ministries on campus. (I love hearing about Christian mission organizations working together. It just makes sense to team up in reaching people with the Gospel).

Youth Transition Network (YTN), was created by Jeff Schadt to help students transition from high school to college. Schadt, a former Campus Crusade for Christ staff, explains that freshman often assume the adjustment to life on campus will be easy, but they often find themselves overwhelmed.

YTN partners with more than 65 organizations, including InterVarsity and Campus Crusade, to help students transition well. "For the second year in a row, YTN is offering SUCCEED 2010 to give high school juniors and seniors and their parents an opportunity to attend a live simulcast that covers the social, spiritual, financial, academic, and time-management issues that students face. “We address their practical needs as well as their spiritual needs,” Jeff said." (From the InterVarsity website. The Article in its' entirety can be found here. More information on this simulcast is available at YTN’s parent and pastor website www.YTN.org).

I'm grateful I had a textbook experience, because the transition to college can be a tough one. My first 72 hours set the course for my college career, and totally changed my life. If my then-Christian roommate wanted to party hard the first few months of college, I probably would have tagged along, I desperately wanted to fit in at that point, so I was willing to take huge steps out of my comfort zone and experience new things. I'm so thankful the Christians on campus were putting themselves out there to meet new people and trusting God to work amongst the new freshman on campus.

0 comments: