Monday, May 24, 2010

Debt.

A few months ago I finished the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class. Thirteen weeks of learning financial phrases and budget busters. As with anything that prompts you to make changes to your daily life, it's been really hard to put into practice what I learned. I will say, when I hear the word 'debt,' my ears perk up. :)

I loved the class, because it's incredibly applicable. I've never had to take out a loan before, but I understand how it works. I've owed people money at various times in my life. I understand the heaviness that weighs on your shoulders. The next payment that's due is always on your mind. Constant number crunching and pencil pushing.

After my recent financial learning, I see the concept of Jesus canceling our debt in a new light. The heaviness is gone. The guilt is gone. The constant worry is gone. Can you imagine if you owed someone $10,000? (That's a huge number to me [and is why owning a house and paying on a mortgage scares me to death!!]). Now imagine someone saying "Oh, yeah. I have $10,000 in this briefcase. Here, you can have it."

So it is with Jesus. All we have to do is reach out and take it. And not only does He pay for our debt, He offers a life full of riches, not earthly like we imagine or even desires sometimes, but rich in love and grace (eph 2:7), of His kindness and mercy (eph 2:4).

And Ephesians 1:7 says that in Jesus we have redemption, through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.

And 2 Corinthians 8:9 says this: "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich."

Despite the size of our bank account, student loan balance or mortgage status, we are richly blessed by God, and the debt we could never pay back on our own is paid in full.

0 comments: