Saturday, May 08, 2010

Food.

I love food. Too much. I fully admit that I eat all the wrong foods for all the wrong reasons. The only thing I want to do at the end of a long day is sit down on the couch with a diet coke and a bag of Baked Lays Cheddar & Sour Cream Ruffle Chips.

I joined the website myfitnesspal.com It's an easy way to keep track of your calorie intake, exercise and overall weight loss goal. This website is how I learned that just because chips are baked doesn't magically make them healthy.

Sad to say, this late-night chip raid generally appeases my hunger for feeling good. It doesn't occur to me to go to the Lord with any of my various needs, hurt feelings or good news at the end of the day.

As if my day-to-day food intake wasn't hard enough to monitor, it's officially that time of year; you know, where every weekend is marked by another spread of wonderful homemade food. Graduation season. Last night I was at a graduation party with the best macaroni and cheese ever. Seriously. Best. Ever.

I was sitting in a laundromat today, knocking out some of the Psalms on my chronological reading plan. I hit Psalm 63 and the following verse stuck out to me in a new way: "My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods." Like my chips. And homemade macaroni. And turtle cheesecake.

Other versions say 'my soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,' and 'I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy.' I seldom feel as good after I spend time with God compared to a delicious homemade meal. Or even frozen pizza.

I'm not really sure how to end this post. Maybe with the words of Jesus from John 6:48: "I am the bread of life."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am the bread of life"...and the man at the well. I'm humored. Great post.