Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lessons from Kids: purpose.

A little girl came up to me after church on Sunday; she had to interview a missionary for Awana. She asked where I'm going, so I said Minneapolis. She asked what I'm doing there. I hesitated.

How do I explain to an 8 year old what I do on staff? I explained that I will help other missionaries tell people about Jesus. That seemed to satisfy her.

On the way home I contemplated my answer. My reply differs depending on the person or audience I'm talking to. Last year I spoke to an Awana group at a friends' church. I went into much more detail with those kids than I did on Sunday. I remember watching at their little eyes glazed over and I found them slowly nodding along when I looked at them, just like I do when someone tries to explain something I don't understand.

I want people to "get" what I do. I love explaining how my role is a puzzle piece that fit into the larger picture, but I also don't want to lose people while I cast vision. The details are important to me, but the purpose is what most people are interested in. What a good reminder to stay focused each day on the mission instead of getting tied up in the logistics and lost in the details.

0 comments: