Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Old info in a new light

This morning, the Ops team met to discuss something I love...

...strengthsfinders!
(picture me saying YES! with a fist pump, and you have an accurate description of my reaction to finding out what we were covering in our meeting). (If you don't know what Strengthsfinders is, click here for an overview. It's the concept that each of us has themes in our lives that are so innate, we may not notice them or think about them. But by learning about them and honing them, they can become incredible strengths).

We did a variety of individual and group exercises to help us better understand how our strengths can work for us, how they work for others, and how they may even work against us.

It wasn't just learning what out strengths were or explaining them; this was serious stuff. Totally insightful. I finally met someone who also has the individualization theme (seeing unique characteristics in others, how people work together on a team, etc), which was really helpful. I'm still not totally sure how I can utilize that theme in my current job or in my personal life, but I have a few tracks to run on now.

The other interesting exercise we did was try to relate all of our strengths together, which was a challenge at first. After some help, I came up with this:

Amy, the human coin machine
1. Input: The coins (information/data) are collected.
2. Analytical: The coins are organized and analyzed.
3. Individualization: The coins are sorted into categories.
4. Significance: The coins are deemed important, less important, etc.
5. Strategic: A decision is made as to what we could do with the coins that would be best for the long-term.

That's the best I could come up with, but I'm open to suggestions :)
Watch for a follow-up post from this as to how my strengths might be of help in decoding a campus.

0 comments: