Sunday, January 02, 2011

Redeeming Christmas

I'm a little late for a Christmas post this year. With finishing up my support, reporting to the office, and preparing for TCX, the holiday kind snuck up on me!

Before I could even enjoy a couple Christmas CD's, or hang the few decorations I own, the 25th was here and gone. And despite the busyness, God brought a few encouraging words my way.

Long lay the world in sin and error pining-
til He appeared and the soul felt its' worth.

I sigh every time I hear that line. I've been struggling with my despise of Christmas for several years. This song isn't just about the birth of Jesus. It's about the redemption of mankind. Every year, the latter gets lost in the Christmas hustle and bustle.

What's Christmas about? Loving, giving, receiving, joy...everyone has their own opinion. Christians are quick to say that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus. But even that pat answer, with no explanation, falls short.

There are signs in each of our lives, all year long, that God desires to be present in our lives. We miss that at Christmas, which is sad, because it's one of the most important times of the year for mankind to see their need for and chance at redemption.

It's ironic that TCX follows two days later. Throughout December I try to work through this angst about Christmas, but by the end of the month, my mixed feelings are pushed away. I'm finally able to see people realizing the very thing that becomes hidden during the Christmas season. The meaning may get lost in the production of Christmas, but it's uncovered in the production of TCX.

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.

0 comments: