Saturday, January 29, 2011

2010 Book List - Highlights

In 2009 I joined a reading group with some friends and kept track of all the books I'd read that year. It was pretty fun to look back on the list at all the books I'd read and enjoyed, so I thought I'd try to come up with a list of books I read in 2010. Not an exhaustive list, but here are the highlights:

  • Three Cups of Tea//Greg Mortensen
    Saw this book advertised in a USD Alum magazine and thought I'd check it out. I wasn't expecting to learn so much about Middle-eastern culture (and I didn't know I'd enjoy it so much). His stumbled-upon strategy of changing the future of children through education was very interesting. Definitely a must-read!

  • Kingdom of Couches//Will Walker
    What does it look like to live out our faith in a community of believers? The author uses real-life examples to lead the reader down a path of seeing the importance of community in personal growth. Heard him speak at a Campus Crusade fall retreat during college about similar issues...good stuff.

  • Now and Not Yet//Jennifer Marshall
    We live in a time of perpetual waiting. Jesus has come to set us free and give us abundant life, but we're still waiting to be truly free from sin and complete in Him. This book was written for single women in time of waiting, but I was surprised to find that it was really encouraging and helpful in other aspects of life, as well.

  • Jumping Through Fires//David Nasser
    An auto-biography about a boy who grew up in Iran in a Muslim family and moved to America as a child. I identified a lot with his story about coming to faith in Christ and not always understanding the basics or doing things with the right motives. Short book, only 120ish pages, and also very funny and very easy to read. (The author is also one of the people who began the Glory Revealed music movement...very cool!)

  • Revolution in World Missions//KP Yohannan
    Brother KP's story about raising up national missionaries in Asia was fascinating!! So fun to read about such a unique and strategic ministry. Deeply convicting, which made it tough to read...yet seeing how God has worked through KP's life made it hard to put down.

0 comments: