Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Cubicle Confessions: Prayer

Three days a week, the CCC regional office gets together to pray for a half hour. We take turns leading and most often pray for our staff and movements on campuses around the region and the world. It's really interesting to hear about what God's doing all around our five states.

Last week I found myself typing out an e-mail at 1129am, thinking I wish we didn't have prayer today, I have so much to do!

As soon as I thought it, I realized my pride. I don't have time to pray? Seriously! Needless to say, I had a moment of prayer to get my head on straight before I went to the office prayer time.

Why don't I pray more than I do? I talk about my problems a lot more than I pray about them. I surely pray when faced with a something too tough for me to deal with on my own. But even then, I find myself pleading with God to just take away the situation and make things easier. I noticed during MPD that I give up easily when faced with challenge; as soon as I heard I "no," I would give up for the day.

Too often, I accept life for what it is. If I don't believe things can really change, why would I pray?

I could just become more disciplined in my personal prayer life. I could set times throughout the day, like office prayer, when I stop what I'm doing and spend some time before the Lord. I could probably call someone and ask them to keep me accountable in this area. I could read more books about prayer, different methods of praying, etc.

All those things are great, but I think I should just learn more about prayer by praying. I think the issue is that I'd pray more if I truly believed that praying did any good. Prayer changes things, including us. Maybe praying more is a good place to start.

0 comments: