Wednesday, May 24, 2006

weird weather

I was on my way home today from town today in my parents new car, and about halfway there I noticed some rather large clouds starting to form. I had on black sunglasses so I guess they looked more ominous than they really were. I was about to turn onto the gravel road approx 2 miles from my home, but I had to stop after turning because there was a truck that had pulled over. Two guys got out and grabbed some coats and a cooler out of the boat and put it in the back of the truck under the covering/case thingy, so I had to wait for them to get going again. the driver noticed me and waved, he was nice about, not a big deal. anyway, during all of this the storm clouds moved in and the wind picked up. when i was a mile from home it sprinkled just a few small drops, then i watched as the wind swept across the crops in a HUGE torrential downpour!! the guys ahead of me slowed way down but even by the time I pulled into the driveway, it was still pouring down in sheets. i drove up to the garage, carefully manuevering around joel's basketball hoop that had been knocked over. I couldn't believe the wind was strong enough to knock it down, because it was held down by two tractor weights, 70 lbs each. must have been a strong wind! it didn't break or get bent, so that was lucky. also lucky i got stuck behind the slow truck & boat, otherwise I would have probably been driving up to the garage when the storm hit and it could have fallen on the car. scary! no one was home so i found it really strange that all the doors were shut, but i soon realized the windows were open and the pressure had closed the doors. the storm also demolished one of our bale racks. it was really old and crappy, and had been hooked to one of our newer ones. check that out!! nothin left but broken boards, bent nails & a crooked frame. it also bent the hitch of the new rack, which you can kinda see in the picture. I am just thankful that was all that happened!! all in all, a really weird day.

0 comments: