Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Another Church Myth?

This post is one of those topics that old coworkers of mine loved to talk about, and one in which I usually defer to other Christians to settle. It's also something I'm thinking about lately upon finishing 'The Irresistible Revolution' by Shane Claiborne.

I've never considered exactly what a church should do with their tithes/offerings. I could dig up my current church's budget information and take a look at that. But I wouldn't even know how much should go to whom.

So I am unsure what to do with Shane's opinions and research on tithes and offerings in the Scriptures. In his words, he discovered tithes and offerings as "unmistakably intended to be used for redistributing resources to the poor and not to go toward buildings and staff for the church."

"An average of 85% of the church offering is used internally, primarily for staff and buildings and stuff to meet our own needs...no wonder most church going Christians give only less than 3 percent of their income to the church and find other ways of giving money to the poor."

I think my current giving to my church, four single female missionaries and a child-sponsorship program is appropriate considering my income level. But I struggle with giving to the homeless and poor in my community, due to many things- I don't see the need in my day to day life, I am not challenged to give to this segment of society, etc. To be honest, sometimes I feel like it's not my responsibility as a Christian to give- can't the government get their act together and do something?

These excuses are not valid, but they are there nonetheless. When I do feel moved to give to the poor in my community, I don't give to my church. There are local organizations that help the homeless that I've given to in the past. And there are other churches in Vermillion that offer tangible help to those who need it, so I give my time and organization skills to help once in awhile.

I understand the need for churches to spend their money on their own programs and staff. Support for their denomination...I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, because I don't know much about it. I'm not satisfied with what Claiborne wrote, or my own presumptions on the topic of giving to the poor and church tithes. Look for more posts on this in the future.

0 comments: