Friday, November 20, 2009

Live Your Best Life Now.

Well, it's official. As of 2011, Oprah is done with her hit talk show. I'm sure housewives across the country teared up at the announcement. Don't worry, she's merely moving from ABC to her own cable network- the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).

You know how there are those moments in history where you will always remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard big news? (For me, 9-11. For my mom, when JFK was shot).

I really hope this Oprah thing is not one of those moments. When I heard the news, I did not cry. In high school I loved the NBC Today Show with Katie Couric, I enjoyed watching a good episode of Oprah interviewing famous people...even the View. I had to know what the panel would say about the newest hot topics. I'm not sure how or when it happened, but after I became a Christian I started to care less about Oprah. I also started watching a lot less TV...but I can't get over how much I really don't care about famous people in the news.

I must say, Oprah's story is an admirable one. Rising from a rough childhood in the deep south, she made it to the top, exactly the 'American Dream' that so many people are hoping to fulfill. She has overcome adversity to be a benefit to society. Wikipedia cites her show as gaining popularity by focusing on literature, self-improvement and spirituality.

Our souls are yearning for good stories, hope for change, and a belief in something greater than ourselves. We want someone to give us all of these things. Oprah fulfills so, so many of the unmet longings and desires of American women of all ages. Live your best life now, she urges us.

Huh. Where have I heard that before? That's the same thing Jesus says. And while Oprah can offer us things to fulfill our longings, nothing truly satisfies these desires like Christ can. And does.

Chadley, my Bible study leader, says that the best lie is one that's the closest to the truth. Oprah is just close enough to the truth and goodness of Christianity that many don't think twice her advice and suggestions.

Even her name gives us a clue to this. She was originally named Orpah, after the biblical character in the book of Ruth. "According to an interview with the Academy of Achievement, Winfrey claimed that her family and friends' inability to pronounce “Orpah” caused them to put the “P” before the “R” in every place else other than the birth certificate" (from this wikipedia article).

Most recently, she's entered into politics. Two economists estimate that Winfrey’s endorsement for Barak Obama - the first candidate she's ever publicly endorsed - was worth over a million votes in the Democratic primary race, and that without it, Obama would have lost the nomination. No wonder Blagojevich considered offering her Barak's Senate seat, viewing her influence more powerful than all 100 Illinois Senators combined.

Oprah has really made a name for herself.
That's exactly what isn't important to God.

1 comments:

allison said...

amen.
not only that, but she's one of the most inflential people in America. Think about how much GOOD she could do if she were saved and speaking the real truth instead of just what everyone wants to hear with a few important buzz words to make sure everyone feels included and inspired"
she makes me want to puke.