Saturday, November 14, 2009

Well Encounters.

I've been reading through the OT for a bible study I currently attend, and I've really been enjoying it. I just got to Moses and Pharaoh - you know, the whole "let my people go" bit. Good stuff.

Here I am, drinking my coffee and reading away, when it hits me. So many men in OT times meet their wives at a well. Of COURSE. That's a great idea. Women would show up, minding their own business, dutifully serving their fathers and families by lugging a few 5 gallon buckets here and there.

And the men- they are there to wait for the one, their wife-to-be. (Or for their master's son's wife-to-be). You probably want examples at this point in the post, so here ya go:

  • Genesis 24: 12-27 [Isaac and Rebekah]
  • Genesis 29: 1-14 [Jacob and Leah/Rachel]
  • Exodus 2: 15-22 [Moses and Zipporah]

My friend JB happened to text me at this time in my learning, so I informed her of my discovery. She and I talk a lot about singleness and dating and relationships and men and marriage- though she's currently not looking, and I am. This works out for me because then she can look for me. Though deep down I know she's really got the better idea in not looking at all. She's so smart.

Anywho, she loved my thought, (of course), and we proceeded to ruminate about our modern-day wells: water coolers/coffee pots. Since I work from home right now, I end up doing work a few times each week in a coffee shop; now deemed by me our modern-day well.

Seriously. I go and do my work. I don't really pay any attention to those around me, unless they are really, really distracting me from my work. I don't lounge around aimlessly, but I'm diligent. I typically wear working clothes and my hair in a pony tail: which I think shows that I take care of myself, but I'm not overly concerned or conceited about my appearance.

Also, these "well women" were servants. When the servant went to find a wife for Abe's son Isaac, he prayed that the one to offer him and his camels a drink when asked would be the correct choice. And Rebekah did so.

So JB comments- maybe we need traditional garb from the bible times. I ask, what would that be? Did they wear head-coverings back then? Would throwing on a baseball cap be an equivalent? :)

When I asked my friend Jules about other modern-day well encounters, she straightforwardly replied Wal-mart. That is where a lot of people go to get our basic needs filled.

What do you think?

2 comments:

jb said...

Love you and your thoughts! Who knows, maybe a man out there has some agreement with God that the next lady that asks if she can get him a cup of joe will be the one he marries. ;) I like it. And btw, airports don't work well as wells(plenty of men but wrong age group, many rings, and very self/business focused), but I will keep looking for you.

Susie said...

I think this is hilarious. And interesting :) I love the OT and the way, if you really read it, it messes with what we "always thought"...