Monday, January 28, 2008

rewards.

I have a couple of sweet classes this semester -- one whole HR class on Compensation, and only compensation. Wages, rewards, benefits, etc. How exciting! Already on the first actual day of lecture we discussed something very applicable to my life - value.



There are two main facets to a compensation plan. Extrinsic and intrinsic rewards combine to form compensation for employees. In general, business students are often after the extrinsic value found in a job - ie, money (good salary, excellent benefits, etc). The intrinsic rewards include a sense of accomplishment, a challenge, value to the organization, etc.



I've been thinking about this a lot lately, just not with this concise wording (which is why i love blogging because my written words sound a lot smarter compared to my verbal words...i digress). Over the past few months, not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about my future. I've been attempting to put into words my feelings towards the differences in working in HR and working for Crusade.



One HUGE element that I didn't realize I put a lot of emphasis on is in the area of rewards/benefits. Yes, raising support to go work in the regional office would be tough, but is doable. I would be able to earn enough money to live a moderately comfortable life- at least it seems that way in looking at others on staff.



Or I could find a company who needs a new face in their HR Dept. and earn the big bucks - not sure on the average for a recent college grad, but for sure $35-45,000 starting out. I could handle those extrinsic rewards, for sure.


But one thing I'm noticing when comparing me and the average business student at USD is the level of importance of intrinsic rewards. I need them. The tough days at work are those that I just don't care about people who need a wireless driveway alarm. The days I get to work in shipping (thus completing the cycle of raw materials to ultimate finished & shipped product)- or talk to people on the phone who love our products provide the insight into the importance of our products. And, you can't beat the highest exntrinsic rewards I've ever earned in my life.


And yet, even providing feelings of safety and security for little old ladies who live all alone gets old. The effect our products have is minimal when you're thinking of eternity.


-> I can compensate for lower extrinsic rewards when
very high intrinsic rewards are present.

0 comments: