Saturday, January 19, 2008

worry/peace

I've been reading Battlefield of the Mind for the past few weeks. Great book, I like it a lot. There's a lot that goes on in my mind, which you probably know if you've read my blog for awhile now. The current chapter I'm on is about worrying. Pretty good chapter for me to read at this point in my life- with graduation comes big decisions, many of which I've already started worrying about. I won't get in to much of the actual advice Joyce Meyer provides to live a life free from worry. One thing she comments on is finding rest in God. I know it's easier for me to be at peace when things are a bit quiter in my life. That's probably true for many people. But the fact that I can have rest even in trying times is very promising. Loosly paraphrased, Meyer writes:

His rest is one that operates in the midst of the storm, not in the absence of one. Jesus did not come to remove all opposition from our lives.

There is no guarentee that life is easy, especially not the Christian life. Two quick thoughts on this: 1-a lot of non-christians don't get that, 2-a lot of new christians don't know yet (or don't understand). I think it's a fundamental principle for a new believer to learn. Probably one they will have to learn on their own.

I forget this- that Jesus isn't just going to take away all my cares and worries. I can cast them on Him, and I should, but how I handle the oppositions in my life is really important. It's a chance for me to have faith that God is working in the situation, no matter the current problems or potential outcomes. it's a chance to give Him glory.

0 comments: