Wednesday, January 30, 2008

needs.

The latest knowledge learned in the HR compenstation realm dealt with motivation theories. SUPER interesting! (FYI, no sarcasm here -- I know I can be hard to read through words). I'm pretty sick of hearing about maslow's hierarchy of needs. But this week my prof lectured on a couple different motivation theories that were pretty interesting.

Maslow's pyramid of needs starts with the most basic at the bottom, physical. As needs at the bottom level are met, a person is able to move on to other needs until they are all filled (except for the highest one, self-actualization. I don't think you can fully meet that need. Maybe I need to study this more (sarcasm-> gee, can I?). He proposed the idea that compensation and fulfilling these needs are correlated. Compensation provides a means to filling these needs - especially the first two levels of needs- physical and safety needs. Fine, I give you that.

But he went on to say that compensation can get you all the needs, with the exception of self-actualization (which he thought could, to a point). I think I have a problem with the fact that business people think money can buy anything and everything. Yes it can buy a place to live, food, water, etc. But self-esteem? Hmm.

As you move up the pyramid, the influence compensation has decreases. In our society, it's very common for business-people, and people in general, to equate wealth with feelings of self-esteem, happiness, etc. I have a problem with this, and an obviously different viewpoint on it because I am a Christian. But I think this topic is interesting, and I'd like to study these motivation theories more.

0 comments: