Sunday, October 25, 2009

Expression.

The way that Christians express their faith is so interesting to me. I've come to find out that the majority of the Christian population that I've met has a genuine desire to share Christ with other people. While some are much more passionate than others, almost everyone I know who professes to believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord has a desire to express this relationship in someway.


I don't know what to say to the Christians out there who don't have this desire. I understand the reasons behind not wanting to share Christ with others. Fear, selfishness, apathy, pride, the list goes on and on and on. But overcoming these obstacles builds my character and brings me closer to God. Sometimes our motives for sharing are even selfish. I think the level of desirability to share Christ with others really shows a person's maturity level in Christ, and the seriousness of their commitment to Him.


And just in the way we express things inappropriately at times, I don't think we always express our faith in appropriate ways. All too often, because we don't know how to express/share it, we just shy away from reflecting it at all. "Better safe than sorry" is such a bummer. Safety is a legitimate concern for those in the Middle East or China, but that's another story. Even in those situations, God sometimes calls us to give up our safety. I don't know too many situations where He calls us to do this in America- because safety is often never in question.


I love to write, so I write about my faith. I enjoy discussing theological issues, so I bring them up in conversation. I was very upfront about my beliefs with my coworkers when I started my job two years ago. And in the last two years, my non-Christian coworkers brought up theological questions and issues more than I did! I enjoy music, so I express my love for Christ in the songs I write and play. How do you express your faith? God has created you with interests. Pottery, music, cooking, poetry, woodworking, writing, painting - all these things can be used to express your faith.


And once in awhile, spoken words even work. :)

0 comments: