Thursday, October 15, 2009

MPD.

I think the first time I heard someone say "raising personal financial support for full-time ministry is not about the money" was at new staff training in January. I distinctly remember thinking they were ridiculous. Seriously, I thought they were just to sound uber-spiritual. I thought, surely they are just trying to make the 100+ new staff in the conference room feel better in light of their financial situations. Not going to work, Mr. Awesome Staffer Guy. You are not fooling me. And now I'm a bit mad that Crusade would have you come up on stage and blatantly lie to us.

It's taken me a good six to seven months to realize that it's not about the money.

The money is essential, but focusing on finances above the true Provider robs the process of its purpose. It's about learning and growing in my walk with the Lord and challenging and encouraging others in theirs. It's about partnering in ministry with others to reach people for Christ.

I have had many 'favorite' MPD appointments. One time I met a recent college grad for coffee. She literally thanked me for the chance to invest in something she new would have an effect on eternity. I've continually been encouraged by appointments like this, and by so many friends, and even people I don't really know.

So far I've been learning and growing in so many ways: walking in power of Holy Spirit, surrendering my own plans (sometimes on an hour-by-hour basis!), pride in my own abilities to provide for myself and physically 'earn' my money, and on and on.
MPD is really preparing me for many steps of faith I will be expected to take in ministry.

But more than changes in my life, I'm so excited for and expectant of what God is already doing and what He will do in the lives of my ministry partners!!

0 comments: