Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Staff Training!

I finally made it to Florida after 12 hours of travel! I spent Monday night in Omaha at Dan & Courtney's (college friends)- my friend Nici drove me down. It was fun to see them! They took me to the Omaha airport at 430am Tues Jan 6 to catch my 630am flight to Memphis. Once everyone boarded the plane they realized they had a computer malfunction and had to shut everything down. So we sat on the runway in total darkness for a few minutes, then they booted the plane back up and we were off!

I had an hour layover in Memphis- just enough time to stretch my legs and grab some bacon & eggs for breakfast. I caught my next flight at 920am to Orlando, which landed at noon after a very bumpy ride. I slept most of the way despite the turbulence. Once I got my baggage I made my way to the shuttle station and had to wait 45 minutes to board my van to take me to Daytona Beach. For the next 2 hours I sat next to a 79 year-old grandmother named Silver who was returning from visiting family in Vermont. She complained about the weather there, and I sympathized with her. Other topics of conversations included the reasons why Daytona Beach was not a real great city, and the tradegy of John Travolta's son's death (he apparently lives in the area).

Oddly enough, there was a guy in my van who was from Sacremento who was heading to staff training in Daytona. He grew up in California but his dad is from Pipestone, MN and has family in Luverne, Sioux Falls and surrounding areas. Small world!

My roommates are great- they are from Kentucky, South Carolina and Pennsylvania. They are all going into different areas of Campus Crusade ministry- Athletes in Action, Bridges and Campus Ministry, so I'm excited to get to know em better.

More later! Good night for now :)

Ames

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a fun read. Thanks for the update! ;) I hope you get this in the morning so you can have a great day today!
Miss you,
Jen