Sunday, March 07, 2010

Head & Heart

My experiences in praying as a child are limited and few. I don't remember much, but I know that just about every night, I'd pray for God to bless my parents, my brothers, my friends, other relatives. Even the family dog made it in there once in awhile. I wanted God to take care of the people and things I loved.

While my heart was in the right place, my head was a bit confused. I prayed every night, knowing that each day was important and mattered in light of the rest of my life. I also remember thinking that if I didn't get the prayers exactly right, God wouldn't bless me or my family.

This isn't the only time I've sought out a ritual or tradition to bring me closer to God. I remember as a child watching with great interest as my mom took communion. Sometimes she'd kneel in our pew afterward for a minute or two, with her hands folded. I was always intrigued as to what she was doing (praying, was her answer, now be quiet). The first Sunday I was able to take communion, I was amazed I didn't really feel different after I took part in this sacrament. I honestly didn't really know the reason for communion, and was surprised to find that I didn't need to pray a special prayer while eating the cardboard-like wafer and drinking the thimble-full of wine (which always looked better than it tasted).

Ritualistic prayers or traditions won't get us closer to God. How great is the freedom to come to God at any moment, any time, with any concern or question.

0 comments: