Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Seek or Chase?

Someone asked me this week, Should we seek God or chase Him? I immediately smiled. I love that question. Before you continue reading, come up with your own answer.


I think it's a good question. The verb "chase" can mean a variety of things. If it means...

pursue
Yes! We need to pursue God. He wants us to, and loves it when we do. I think this definition is very similar to seek (to go in search of).

follow rapidly in order to catch
Yes! The awesome thing is, we will always catch Him. All over the Bible are promises that those who seek God will find Him. We don't have to worry that our pursuit will never "catch" God; He is able to meet with us, willing to meet with us and available to meet with us.

to seek the favor or company of persistently
(as in, chased me until I agreed to a date. lol.)
Yes! (Clarification Needed). This is what every person's life should be: persistently seeking the favor and company of God. God loves and wants our pursuit. We find favor in God's eyes when we do His will- which is loving Him with all our heart, soul and mind. Here's the clarification: We should seek favor in God's eyes, but we must never question His love. We can do nothing to make God love us more. We can do nothing to make God love us any less.

In sum: God wants us to follow/seek/chase Him - with all that we have, every day - but we must never doubt that we can catch Him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you explained it perfectly!

You are an amazing person... I am in awe of your faith, it so refreshing. To see the world through your eyes has opened mine in a whole new wonderful direction.

Thank you :o)