Monday, March 15, 2010

How To Sell Jesus

Do you act differently around non-christians than you do around your closest friends? I know there are times that I do. For a short period of time in college, I would say I probably put on a good face for unbelievers more than I'm actually honest with them. Then I got to a work environment where people were very real with me, and that made me want to be very real in return. And surprisingly, they appreciate this real-ness and I think they could tell that my life was actually different, and actually better, as a Christian.

I know there is a line between these two extremes: always acting like a good-little-Christian, versus living just like everyone else -- I just don't really know where it is. A recent article had this to say about it:

"The solution is for us to live like us … whoever we are. Here’s my strategy: whoever I am when I am alone or with my closest friends, is the person I’m going to be when I’m with non-Christians, too. That means I talk about my faith sometimes and sometimes I cuss, too. And in my experience non-Christians appreciate that kind of authenticity. They already know we’re not perfect. They just get annoyed when we pretend like we are."

It's a good article, check it out if you're at all interested in how we can best sell Jesus to other people (trick question--He sells Himself! Just don't get in his way).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you think this relates to 'being all things to all people?'

lys :)