Thursday, January 14, 2010

flashback

Below is a part of a post I wrote back in Nov '09 about a realization that the Gospel is more than a one-time decision/prayer, which I brought up in my post from Jan 6 this year.

Last fall I read Francis Chan's book Crazy Love. It's great.

I recently listened to one of his sermons about living reverently.

His passage of choice was Philippians 2:12-13... Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.



Somewhere between Jesus' time on earth and today, somebody made the mistake that salvation is about a one-time decision made through prayer. He asks the would you get that from reading the Bible?

Salvation does come at a point in time; there is a moment when your eyes are opened and you understand that Jesus took your place on the cross. There is a moment of decision. But the rest of your life is you working out this salvation. The rest of your life is about following Jesus.

Midway through the sermon, Chan explained a great analogy with the decision making of a New Years' Resolution. The one-time decision is important, but the rest of the year is following that decision- changing what you need to do to act on it. Your actions will show how serious you were when you made that decision.

Paul wrote this letter from prison, and is encouraging the believers to work out their salvation in his absence. He is saying work out your own salvation. He isn't around anymore to help and encourage them. And they can't depend on him in the same way. And we can't depend on the people around us for our salvation. When it comes down to it, each of us will stand before Christ individually and have to answer for our lives.

Will He really tell you, well done? Are you a good and faithful servant? Or will He say "Depart from me, I never knew you. I know your parents, your grandparents, your pastor, your friends. But I don't know you."

Chan says he has "a responsibility as your pastor. I will probably be judged more strictly than you, according to James 2. I have a responsibility to try to lead you into the right place before God. At the same time, when you stand before God, you are not going to be able to blame me."

When I started walking with the Lord, my motives were shady. I had found great friends and a great social outlet. I always felt like I belonged. God started working in my life, and while I knew I had found something that would change me, I did a lot of things just because of the people.

I think that was ok, to begin with. It always amazes me how God can work through poor motives and irresponsible people. But had I continued to depend on those around me, I'm not experiencing a true relationship with God.

Would I follow Jesus despite all the believers around me? Am I making my salvation my own? A priority of my life?

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Chan says "I don't see a lot of fear and trembling in today's church. I see a lot of arrogance when people talk about God...like Scripture says, it's a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

We have no excuse to not work out our salvation. We have endless opportunities to serve our neighbors, give to the needy, support missions. We have never had so much knowledge at our fingertips to encourage and challenge us in our relationship with God.

0 comments: