Wednesday, January 20, 2010

power and change

Hebrews 4:12 is commonly used to describe the Bible, and for good reason: "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." But why is the Word so special? Is it just another book, or is it something more?


I just looked up some verses about the word of God:
1 Peter 1:23 "...the living and abiding word of God."
Jeremiah 23:29 "Is not my word like fire, declares the LORD, like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?"
1 Thessalonians 1:5 "...our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction."
1 Thessalonians 2:13 "(the word of God) is at work in you who believe."
Ephesians 6:17 "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

By no means is this an exhaustive list. But it makes me think about the reason the Word is so important in our lives.

Without the power of God behind it, the Word is merely the word- ink on paper, a collection of two thousand year old stories that have no real significance in our lives.

But the Word is a catalyst, and the more you read it, the most you know. The more you know, the more you apply it to your life. The more application that occurs, the more you change.

Sometimes, I don't want to get in the Word because I know that I'm wrong, and I'm pretty sure God will convict me of that wrongness. But, if you haven't guessed it by now, I'm all about change. Even when it stinks, I know I'll look back down the road and be glad I was made aware of my wrongness.

Even when I was a kid, I was into change. I wanted to know how tall I'd grown since the last time I was at the doctor. I wanted to know how many more words I could spell and define after surpassing another level in the Accelerated Reader program. I wanted to see how much farther I could shoot a basketball or hit a golf ball.

But the concept of emotional or mental lasting change is a bit more tricky. Real change comes not from legalistic rules, but from a change of the heart. And what better way to see your heart change than through meeting with the One who knows your heart? "Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence" (Ephesians 3:12), through His Word, which begins us on a path to lasting change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I heard a song about this today too.

Unknown said...

lol JB...you are not so anonymous :)

Anonymous said...

Who is JB?

JB said...

Ok, so you are right...not so anonymous. :)

Unknown said...

i knew it :)