Friday, January 22, 2010

Un-learning

I'm having trouble finishing this post. I started it weeks ago, and I've been working on it here and there, but I can't seem to summarize my thoughts into a neat little package, so at this point, I'm going to use this as a chance to let you see the way my brain works. And my brain thinks in italics, which is handy, because I can set apart my thoughts from the things I decided to type out after the fact. So here we go: my thoughts, no filter:

I dream of a day when Christians are rightly known- by the things for which we (should) stand, not for the things we are against. The problem is not with those who wrongly label us. Quite often, they are correct. And the funny thing is, we don't radiate the one thing that's most important to us: Jesus. His attitude, His heart, His love. We are more (in)famous for what we are against than what we are for.



How do we as the Body of Christ clean up our behavior? How to we get back to the basics, back to what's most important instead of the things that subtly tend to seep into our lives and minds and hearts, things that made us what we are, which is oddly not a good representation of Christ. I don't like the word 'subtly-' or 'subtle,' for that matter. They are too hard to spell, too hard!

The things that seep in without our knowing can be good things, until they steal our attention away from the point of our lives, which is to point to Christ. Our pursuit of our dreams- but are they God-given, Christ-centered dreams, or are they Christian versions of the sought-after but sadly un-fulfilling American Dream? Our political views- we all have a responsibility to stay informed of the issues and vote accordingly, but why do we get hung up on differences (even in evangelical Christian circles!) in views on social and moral issues?

How does the church fit into helping Christians "clean up" their behaviors? Is it ever right for a church to be inwardly focused? In this instance, should it be the church's responsibility to serve its members in this way? Where else does the massive Body of Christ receive truth, biblical teaching, admonishment, encouragement, etc? (Besides just reading our Bibles and living according to what that says...)

But the problem with this is that the church is made up of imperfect people. We judge others. We are abrasive in political debates. We spend money on stupid things. When we sin, our natural inclination is to hide. We see that from the very beginning with Adam and Eve.

I read something once on a website, a parody of a verse from colossians I think: "be loud in the ways you act towards others; take each opportunity for granted, let your conversations always be abrasive, seasoned with aggression, so you will always be right."

How fitting for some of us. When did we start being aggressive and abrasive? Yikes!

A bible study at my church is studying concepts from Greg Koukl's ministry, Stand To Reason. In college I would always get clammy palms and a nervous twitch when I tried to talk to someone about my faith- even when I wasn't explicitly "evangelizing." At my former place of employment, I very seldom brought up spiritual things- not because I was afraid to, but because my coworkers would constantly bring it up in front of me. I think they just liked the fact that I listened to whatever they had to say and I didn't blow up at them for voicing their opinions. I never really knew what to say to them, so that was probably my main reason for not replying very much (that, and a general interest in and concern of their spiritual convictions).

Anyway, I love that we're doing this at Bible study. So far, we've learned how to use the concept of burden of proof in our favor. I started with limited information on and a small number of assumptions concerning Christianity five years ago- but here I am, how to not be abrasive and inappropriate concerning sharing my faith.

The fact that I must unlearn so much about my faith is a little sad. Even in Christian circles, there are a lot of misinformed and misdirected people. Very sad. Why do people think forcing their beliefs on someone is going to work? They are directing their passion to the wrong place.

And, what's with people not telling others about Jesus? If all the Christians in the world shared their faith with like 50 or maybe even 20 people, I bet that'd be it. Great Commission = done. Telling people about Jesus is an essential and normal expression of a mature, healthy relationship with Jesus. I'm serious here. If you don't have a natural inclination in your daily life to talk about Jesus, what He's teaching you, why you follow Him, how He's changed your life, then why do you believe in the Gospel? Why are you a Christian?

I think this post could go on and on and on, so I will cut myself off here, which did not happen soon enough! Forgive me if feelings are hurt or comments are inappropriate. But it's a personal blog on the Internet, so I highly doubt someone who would actually say something in major disagreement would come across it. Unless that's you, and you're reading this. If it is, comment away!

0 comments: