Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas, Take 3: Coming to Terms.

I really like Carolina Liar's song Show Me What I'm Looking For. Though you grammar sticklers might agree it should be more appropriately titled Show Me For What I am Looking. Most people would probably agree the song's been way overplayed on the radio, thus becoming annoying. But I don't listen to the radio, so I don't consider it overplayed at all. Actually, you probably have no idea what song I'm talking about, as Carolina Liar is a secular rock band that isn't that famous.

Which leads me to my point (finally!): Carolina Liar has another song called Coming to Terms. I like that one, too. They are may not a super appropriate band for a christian to enjoy listening to, but I like them. Most of the group is originally from Sweden. And I love other Swedish bands too, so I'm not surprised- Ace of Base, ABBA, Roxette...I'm on a tangent again...

The real point: their song Coming to Terms helps me explain my most current feelings on the topic of Christmas and the holidays. This is the third time I've blogged about Christmas this year, and I'm, cough cough, coming to terms in the same way Carolina Liar describes it:

I’m coming to terms
I’m starting to learn
This ain’t all it’s cracked up to be...
It’s never as easy as we believe

Ok, so I took out one line of the chorus above, but it fits. I put way too much pressure on myself, immediate and extended family, friends and my church in making Christmas an amazing, memory-filled holiday that exceeds my expectations every single year.

It's just one day. Yes, it's full of family traditions, it's a celebration of the birth of my Savior, and it's the most important holiday to a large segment of society.

Do I love Jesus as much at Christmas as I do other days of the year? Does a bigger tree than last year mean I love Him more than others?

Once in awhile I see a movie or hear someone talk about the "magic" of Christmas. Putting aside our differences and grudges to come together as family is a sweet thing. Being nice to others, even loving our enemies, is great. How wonderful to give of your money, possessions and even your time to help those in need.

But those things are filth compared to the power of majesty of Jesus Christ- who I will worship, honor, and glorify, as much as I can, every day.

0 comments: