Monday, December 07, 2009

Tim Tebow.

Two weeks ago, I had never heard of Tim Tebow. Born in the Philippines to American missionaries, Tebow was home-schooled on a farm in northeastern Florida. He thrived on his high school football team, despite a bit of controversy over his home-school status. As a top recruit, he chose University of Florida and won the Heisman Trophy (most outstanding college football player) his sophomore year (the first player to do so).

I happened to turn on the Florida v Florida State game last week (I couldn't resist a good in-state college rivalry). This was where I learned of Tim Tebow, now in his senior year of college. I wasn't sure right away why everyone made a big deal about him, but after watching him play, seeing his interaction on the field with other players, refs and media, and, of course, googling him, I see why he's a big deal. He is a stand-up guy.

Last Saturday's game against Alabama was broadcast nationally, it being the SEC Championship game and all. Tebow's face was one of the most shown on TV throughout the game. Under his eyes was the typical black face paint. But on the black, he had written in white letters "John" and "16:33" ("I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.")

The New York Times featured a story last week not only about Tim, but also his brother, Pete, who is on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ. It's an interesting read and I'd recommend it to those who like a good story (and, especially those who enjoy football).

What a great lesson from Tim- we are more than our resume, our skills, our talents. He is more than a good football player. I can't wait to see where he ends up in the future, and how he will use his gifts to glorify God. He's already doing an outstanding job of that.

0 comments: